It was for Joseph and Simon Masseta Cataldino Padres founded in 1610 on the left bank of the river Paranapanema.
It was founded in 1610 on the left bank of the river Paranapanema
Founded by: Parents Joseph and Simon Cataldino Masseta
Found on the current town of San Ignacio, about 60 km distant from the provincial capital Posadas. Although the initial seat of San Ignacio Mini (San Ignacio Mini I) is located at the northern end of the current Brazilian state of Parana where between the sixteenth and eighteenth centuries, the territory of such a state formed the region hispanojesuítica The Guayrá.
Coordinates: 27 ° 15’19 “S 55 ° 31’54” W.
Currently stays in better condition thanks to major restoration works were carried out between 1,940 and 1,950. Since 1984, integrates the World Heritage List of UNESCO.
Heritage (1984) – UNESCO
Sent by the First Provincial Mission, Father Diego de Torres, to evangelize the region Guayrá Indigenous groups were reduced by adopting along with the teachings of the Gospel, work habits and ideas of social organization. But Guaira populations could not withstand the attacks of the Mamelukes or Paulist Bandeirantes seeking imprison indigenous and sold as slaves, this and other people had to emigrate in 1631; organized and led by Father Antonio Ruiz de Montoya who led the exodus of 12,000 Aborigines through the jungles and rivers arriving on the banks of the stream Yabebirí of the present province of Misiones. After several temporary settlements, and in 1696 moved definitively established in its current location; He called SAN IGNACIO Mini or IPAMBUCU (received this name for having founded after the other San Ignacio, Guazii.
In its heyday came to have a population of 4,500 Guaraní. Expelled the Jesuits in 1767, San Ignacio Mini survived until it was destroyed, like other peoples, during the border war of 1817. Nevertheless, a group of Guarani in command of Chief Cristaldo, returned to settle there. This recruitment was unsuccessful because the Paraguayan troops ravaged 1,821 villages Paraná.
The ruins of the Mission have been inserted in the path of the modern town of San Ignacio.
The urban plan of the mission is organized around the square and was chaired by the set making up the council and the main temple, with baptistery and sacristy, one of whose sides the house of the parents were located, school, refectory the courtyard of the workshops and warehouses; and the other, the cemetery, the orchard and the coty-maned. Strips of Indian housing, with double galleries, completed the limits of the square. The main entrance from the north, which was a central street view, focused on the front of the temple, says the baroque conception that urban space is structured in missions.
The largest temple of three ships, was built with red sandstone rocks of the area, which were originally settled with perfect fit, without mortar; the cover was of tiles, gable, supported by wooden structure. Elaborate designs carved in stone highlighting key areas of the temple, as the portal of entry, the sacristy, and connecting the temple with the school. In the figures of angels, doves and the local flora Guarani imprint appreciated. Very interesting is the design of other architectural elements such as floors and balustrades