Founded in 1622 on the right bank of the Parana River, had to move from the attacks of the frontiersmen, to be located at its present site in 1701.
In 1622 on the right bank of the Parana River, had to move from the attacks of the frontiersmen, to be located at its present site in 1701.
Founded by Parents Pedro Romero and Diego de Boro.
7 km. de la ruta nacional 7 km. National Route 12; 18 km. San Ignacio. Latitude S 27 º 10 ‘- Longitude W 55 º 30’ Access:
82 km. Posadas..
Located in a strategic place on the way to the Iguazu River, prospered until in 1768 became populated by 5,100 Guarani Indians. In 1817, during the border war, it was destroyed and plundered by Paraguayan troops.
The present village cemetery occupies part of the square of the old codes. The front of the
temple, which was reached by a staircase of 18 steps, and the wall of the cemetery, are well
preserved. In the area of the sacristy and chancel high adobe mounds are observed; another both in the internal and workshops. The Jesuit cemetery holds the remains of its perimeter walls, traces of the Chapel of All Souls and coty-maned (house of widows) are also observed. The Temple, the residence of the workshops, the cemetery and some strips of housing that surrounded the square, are kept up to its former bases. On the outskirts deposits “NAU”-adobe-brick factories and important remains of embankments and persist.